Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Introducing: Silent Movie Showcase with Charlie Chaplin

Last month, together with JATV and Pat Thom of UW Rock County, we put together a Charlie Chaplin silent comedy showcase /JATV fundraiser, featuring yours truly accompanying three Charlie Chaplin short comedies on piano, live.

As you know, the silent movies were never really silent, they merely lacked sound. Instead they featured music courtesy of a piano or an organ player and sometimes even a full orchestra. While some movies had specific music scores written just for them, more often they were accompanied by a musician who saw the movie may be once prior to playing music for it. Similarly to those old-time professionals, I reviewed the films and prepared a few specific musical cues. Otherwise, the music for this one hour presentation was improvised.

Everyone had a great time and though the audience was small, considering that this was the first time anything of this sort was done in Janesville in at least 90 years, and this being quite possibly the first experience of seeing a silent movie with live accompaniment for most members of the audience, it makes sense that this kind of an event has room to grow.

This was a combination of me doing something that I love - improvised accompaniment of silent movies - combined with the great art of Charlie Chaplin. And to make it even better, we were able to raise some money for JATV! We are very happy with the feedback so stay tuned to see if there is another silent movie showcase event in the future, perhaps featuring another Charlie Chaplin classic or some of the great comedies by Buster Keaton or some other silent movie greats.

In the meantime, I am taking this show on the road so if you want to schedule a performance - contact me!

Here is some of the feedback we got from audience members:

Mike Southers: I thought it was fun. I even told the gentleman that let us out, we (Kerry and I) would come again. It was a very nice blend of history, film, and music.....educational and entertaining. I also liked the timing. 90 to 120 minutes. Not too long or too short. Just right in my book.

Kerry Bergwall Southers: It really was a great time. Now that the boys are old enough to stay on their own, it was like a date night for Mike and I. Have not had one of those in over 13 years!

Teresa Nguyen: Loved it! What an entertainment "package"! I'd recommend you DO take this "on the road" Yuri. Awesome piano for the movies, too, Yuri. Of course, we all know how very talented you are, but as a musician, I know that it took some coordination and work on your part to fit the moods & actions of the film and to pull it off so smoothly, as you did! Bravo! :)

Tracie Linck: I would highly recommend that people attend if Yuri does another event like this. I am not sure which was better - the great movies which I have never seen before and loved them - or Yuri's music which I haven't heard before and now I have to get his CDs because I loved his music.

Here is the video of one of the movies that make up the Silent Movie Showcase: Charlie Chaplin's the Easy Street.

YouTube - Charlie Chaplin - Easy Street - Music by Yuri Rashkin

No comments: